Medical Cannabis Prescriber Sydney
Dr James Yu is a Pain Specialist in Sydney providing medical cannabis prescription services for a range of pain-related conditions.
The Medicinal Cannabis Program Sydney Spine & Pain developed is to provide qualified patients with an avenue to obtain high quality, legal medicinal cannabis to treat their chronic pain conditions.
- Neuropathic pain (nerve pain)
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Chronic back pain
- Failed back surgery syndrome (FBSS)
Treating Specialist (Clinical Director):
- Dr. James Yu – Sydney Spine & Pain Clinical Director
Dr. Yu is an experienced interventional pain specialist who assists people suffering from chronic or post-surgical pain. He offers procedures that prevent the need for extensive surgery and approaches that reduce pharmacological therapy.
Dr. Yu is one of the first medical pain specialist in Australia authorised to prescribe medicinal cannabis for chronic pain conditions. As a medical specialist, patients require a referral to book an appointment.
Process to request a medical cannabis consultation with Dr. Yu:
As a medical specialist Dr. Yu requires a referral to see him.
Obtain a referral from your GP or specialist and return to this website.
1. Obtain a referral from your GP or specialist and return to this website.
2. Once you have your referral please complete the form below to register your intent to seek a medicinal cannabis consultation. Sydney Spine & Pain will call you to arrange a consultation for initial assessment. Appointments will not be considered without the below registration form complete.
3. Please be aware, in order to see Dr. Yu, there are significant medical history forms you must complete, these will be posted or emailed to you.
4. After your consultation with the Doctor, should medical cannabis be recommended as part of your treatment, the Sydney Spine & Pain team will start the administrative process, including the government regulatory approval form & registration authorisation requests. During this time you will be consulting with Dr. Yu’s clinical team.
5. Once regulatory approval has been obtained (6 to 16 weeks) return to Sydney Spine & Pain to receive your prescription and ongoing authorisation for medical cannabis.
6. You will be monitored and assisted by the team at Sydney Spine & Pain throughout your prescription period.
Contact us below to enquire about Sydney Spine & Pain medical cannabis program.
Your information is confidential and will not be shared with any third parties.
The federal laws and governance of this matter is complicated and ever changing. The entire application process may take 6 to 16 weeks. We ask for your patience and understanding on this matter.
- Patient is required to be honest and truthful when providing medical history and information to our clinical team.
- Patient must be able and committed to answer phone calls from our clinical team, OR return to our phone calls if we could not reach the patient on the first attempt.
- Patient must remain open-minded to the possibilities of other treatments that are available and may be more beneficial to individual conditions.
- Estimated waiting time from consultation to obtaining approval will be 2-4 months.
- When consuming this drug, patient must strictly follow the instructions provided by our clinical team.
Completing this form does not guarantee you a medicinal cannabis prescription. Authority to grant you a prescription is up to the doctor and the governing body assessing medicinal cannabis prescriptions.